刚刚过去的这个星期, 在我自己的病房侦察委员会会议, 最近所谓的, 第一次童子军团长感叹, “I know Scouting is supposed to be separate from the priesthood, but I think the boys can learn a lot about the priesthood through Scouting.” This perceptive novice knew intuitively that Scouting in the LDS Church is 所有 about the priesthood. Several times I’ve heard Larry M. 吉布森, former second counselor in the Young Men general presidency, say to non-member BSA Scouting executives, “If Scouting doesn’t help an LDS boy become a better priesthood holder, we don’t need it!”
With the resolve of Church leaders to continue our partnership with the BSA, I must assume the reverse corollary of Brother Gibson’s statement must also be true: Scouting must help a boy become a better priesthood holder, since we still need it.
Throughout my blog messages I’ve repeatedly stated that the intent of LDS Scouting is to accomplish the 斯密的八点宗旨. I continually pray that every Young Men leader will gain a personal testimony of how Scouting is a means to these priesthood ends. I yearn for purpose-driven Aaronic Priesthood leaders—both youth and adult—who use every precious opportunity in the six-year Young Men program to instill the qualities and characteristics the Lord desires in His young men (请参见 Mac ’ s 消息 #75).
I’d like to share just a few of the Scouting and priesthood quorum methods that help fulfil the eight purposes of the Aaronic Priesthood. For brevity sake, I list here only some of the eight purposes. Perhaps you can identify the bullet items for the other priesthood purposes I’ve omitted.
Become converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ and live its teachings
- Leadership positions in priesthood quorums and Scouting units that “let every man learn his duty” (D&C 107:99)
- Challenging camping and hiking experiences that test and try a boy, causing him to call upon God
- Interacting with nature where the hand of God is revealed
- 对上帝的责任 opportunities regarding personal prayer and personal scripture study
- Prayer and devotionals at meetings, 活动, 天长, 等.
- Spiritual Scoutmaster Minute and “teaching moments” at 每个 meeting, 活动, and campout
- Spiritual experiences through campouts, 服务项目, patriotic events, 等.
- Spiritual discussions under the stars around a campfire
- Learning reverence and respect for the temple, chapel, and sacred things
- Moments of reflection after Scouting activities and quiet moments alone outdoors
- Opportunities to share one’s testimony and invite others to come unto Christ
Serve faithfully in priesthood callings and fulfill responsibilities of priesthood offices
- Influence of true “shadow leadership,” mentoring, and servant leadership from adult leaders
- Rubbing shoulders with adults who honor their priesthood
- Leading and conducting priesthood quorum, presidency meetings, and patrol/team/crew meetings and activities
- Serving in various Scouting leader positions
- Home teaching, fast offerings, sacrament, involvement in reactivating members, 等.
- Teaching others knots, camping skills, 徽章, 等.
- 对上帝的责任 progress and achieving merit badge and rank advancement
- Mental, physical, 情感, and social challenges of Scouting
- Eagle projects and other service projects that require leadership skills
Prepare to serve an honorable full-time mission
- See Mac’s Message #53, #54, #55, #56, 和 #57
- Leadership opportunities in priesthood and Scouting
- 领先, speaking, and teaching opportunities in priesthood and Scouting
- Confidence building through challenging Scouting activities, merit badge acquisition, and rank advancement
- Working together in patrols, 团队, and crews and learning to work with others during Scouting activities, C.O.P.E courses, 等.
- Learning to get along with others at activities and campouts
- Being away from home for extended time at Scout summer camps
- Learn to work hard through service, 天长, 徒步旅行, and merit badge and rank advancement
- Reaching out to others to invite them to attend Scouting and priesthood activities
- Mission preparation classes and missionary experiences
Obtain as much education as possible
- Apply self to earn merit badges and rank advancement
- Learn to study scriptures, Scouting manuals, merit badge books, 等.
- Learn life-skills through a variety of merit badges
- Career-oriented merit badges and Scouting activities
- Progressively more challenging experiences in Varsity Scouts and Venturing
I bear my fervent witness that Scouting in the Church is all about the priesthood. It is not a separate program. When implemented as designed, Scouting is a powerful means to achieve an even more powerful and important end of turning young men into faithful priesthood holders. As adult Young Men leaders, we have only six years to establish in a boy’s life the firm priesthood foundation necessary to sustain him through the challenging life experiences of a mission, college, marriage, 父亲, and Melchizedek priesthood service. I pray we will not waste these precious moments in meaningless activities. I pray we will be faithful in 我们 priesthood as we diligently serve these young men with full purpose of heart.
- Do you have a firm understanding of how Scouting is a means to achieve the eight purposes of the Aaronic Priesthood?
- Are you conducting your Scouting and Aaronic Priesthood efforts as 一个 程序?
- Do you plan and implement each of your quorum and Scouting activities to achieve a clear priesthood purpose?
- Are you properly preparing your young men to be faithful missionaries, 丈夫, 父亲, and Melchizedek priesthood holders?
- How can you help others gain a personal vision of the true purpose of LDS Scouting?
- 你会开始做什么, 停止做, 或做得更好，因为你的倒影?
“Scouting can help young men and boys enhance close relationships with their families and the Church while developing strong and desirable traits of character, 公民身份, and physical and mental fitness. Under priesthood leadership, Scouting should complement the efforts of Aaronic Priesthood quorums and Primary classes in building testimonies in young men and boys. Scouting under Church sponsorship should become an extension of the home, Primary classes, 和斯密法定人数. Scouting functions as part of the Church’s activity program for boys and young men. Scouting activities should be planned to fulfill gospel-centered purposes” (在美国的教会单位侦察手册, 1.1) p.1
-Mac 麦金太尔是专用的童军称颂许多人的生命，通过他的服务和急性对侦查程序的理解. 他目前住在拉斯维加斯, 内华达州. 此消息中表示的意见只是那些作者.